Friday, May 27, 2011

Is Evil Notch a real person?

So a while ago, Notch announced that upon release, those who have bought Minecraft after the Beta transition will have to buy the game again. At the time, I was a little pissed, but I supposed I would give him the benefit of the doubt. 

Now here is my problem, after 6 more updates.

Notch, according to himself, has over Twenty Million Dollars in an accounts somewhere. Still, He maintains a modest income, and does not touch it. 

How is this a problem?

Over time, I have actually seen very little movement forward with Minecraft's development. Sure, there have been good updates that add a lot to the game, but still, Notch has a very small development team that cannot get a whole lot done is comparison to other developing companies. 

Once again. I am totally fine with him not wanting to lead a rich and fancy life. Totally fine with that. But with his amount of chagrin and enjoyment in the game, wouldn't you see it as a good move to use a bit of the earnings from the game to go to the game? 

I'm not asking for a hundred-man work force here, but I think the speed of the development should be a little faster than when they were still scraping for a living. 

So where does the whole "People who bought it after Beta have to buy it again" thing fit into this? 

Well Notch, if you need money, look in the account. Maybe I am missing something here, but if you are not using the money, why ask for more? I am totally fine paying full game price(50-60$) for Minecraft again if I feel that the money is going to go to use in future development. If not, then why should I bother?